Your course outline lists the materials required for this course. Note that some photographic materials may not be returned after they are purchased (especially film and paper). If you are not certain that you are purchasing the correct materials, DO NOT do so. Please see your instructor before making any purchase you are uncertain about.


For greater clarity a list of required materials annotated with photographic images is presented here:

A. Textbook:

Photography: The Essential Way by Barbara London, Jim Stone & John Upton
Pearson/Prentice-Hall (ISBN-13: 978-0131752016).

This text is not required for the course, only recommended. We will be using it in Digital Photo, Photo II and Photo III as well as this course so if you plan to take other course in photo you may want to purchase it. Copies are available in the bookstore

B. Darkroom Towel (mandatory)

Please note that you should have an older towel (a kitchen type towel is perfect for this purpose). With repeated use this towel may need washing. In the event that you do wash this towel DO NOT launder it with regular clothing. It must be washed seperately or the residue of chemicals in the towel may transfer to other clothing. This can cause an undesirable odor or stains in clothing washed with your photo lab towel.

C. Plastic negative sleeves Please be sure to purchase the five frame variety of negative sleeves. Some negative sleeves take six negatives acroos but these do not fit well into most folders, ring binders, etc.

D. Dusting device (brush, ear syringe or canned air). There are numerous devices which you may use to clean your negatives. You will need either canned air (not pictured) or a blowing device to clean loose duct off your negatives. An inexpensive option for this purpose is to purchase an ear syringe (1 or 2 ). These are usually available at your local drugstore. Some photography stores sell combination blower / brushes ( 3 ) - unfortunately the blowers on these devices are often too weak to be of much practical use. A soft camel-hair brush (4) which comes with cosmetics but which has not been used can be very effective for dislodging dust from your negatives.

E. Printing paper - Please note that because of major market changes in photography over the past 10 years many of the traditional B/W photographic print papers are no longer available. Currently there are several less familiar brands on the market. In past years I specified a paper for you to use. This year I am going to try suggest two options and leave the choice to you. Both of these brands of paper are widely available at photo stores and will be available for you in South Bend. If you have concerns please do not purchase paper before we meet for class.

If you would prefer to use another paper in class please consult with me first. Whatever you wish to use it must have the following properties:
A. 8" X 10" size
B. Resin coated
C. variable contrast
D. Glossy surface

Remember to contact me first if you have any questions regarding your paper purchase.

Here are the two paper options:

Ilford Multigrade IV RC Deluxe Resin Coated VC Paper, 8x10, 100 Pack (Glossy)100 sheets. The package design may be different where you shop so be certain that you are purchasing the material described above. Be certain that you get the "glossy" finish.

This paper is a bit more expensive but very good quality. Some think its better to use a less costly paper when you are learning. In that case consider option two, below  . . .


ilford photo paper

Promaster PhotoImage B&W Variable contrast Resin Coated Photo Paper 8x10, 100 Sheets, Glossy. Once again, the package design may be different where you shop so be certain that you are purchasing the material described above. Be certain that you get the "glossy" finish.

This paper is a bit less expensive but good quality.





F. Film - one roll 35mm Kodak Tri-X B/W film with 36 exposures. You will also need to purchase 50' of Kodak Tri-X B/W film in bulk. At present bulk film may only be sold in 100' bulk packs. If that is the case, I recommend that you split a roll with a classmate - it also saves money!

H. Black mat board. Do not purchase this board until specifically instructed to do so.You will be using this board for constructing a small pinhole camera.

I. White mat board. You will be using this board for mounting your photo assignments. You will need the equivalent of 18 sheets which are 11" X 14" in size. Generally I recommend that you buy larger sheets of matboard and then cut them down to 11" X 14". You may purchase your board precut but it is often quite costly that way.

G. Spotting brush. You will only need to purchase a spotting brush if those which are supplied in the photography studios are removed. These brushes are quite small and have a very small tip. They are quite costly for their sze.

J. you will need one X-acto knife with a No. "11" blade and a metal straight edge (if lab ruler walks away). You will need these tools for mounting your prints.

K. Black electrical tape (the plastic glossy type). You will only need to purchase this tape if we use pinhole cameras in your section of the Photo I course. It is relatively inexpensive and is available at most hardware stores and occasionally at office supply stores as well.

L. Snap caps - These look very much like the cassettes your regular film came in. You will use these when you "bulk load" your own film. You will need about four of these cassettes. Some of these snap caps are made of metal and have a metal caps that "clicks" into place. Some are plastic and the cap screws on.

M. Bienfang drymount tissue. The package design for this product is slightly different than shown here. The tissue should be the 8" X 10" in size and you should purchase a 25 sheet package. You will not need the full 25 sheets and may want to purchase this packet with one of your classmates and share the materials.

You may also purchase an offbrand substutue for the Bienfang product called "One Drymount Tissue" (see photo below). I can't gurantee availability of this at all stores but it is a bit less expensive if you can find it and past students have said it works well

N. Assignment folder - this is the simple type of folder that may be purchased in the school supply section of your local drugstore or discount house. The folder must have two pockets in it and it would be helpful if it included binder clasps so that you may keep your negative sleeves in the folder as well.

O. 18” Metal straight edge (ruler) and one roll of masking tape. You may need a metal straight edge if those provided in the lab are missing or in use. You will need a small quantity of masking tape when you are bulkloading your film.

P. Dark room key. You will need to have a key to access the labs for this course. All photography labs are to be kept closed and locked when not in use. After I submit your name for approval you will be able to get your key at the Cashier's window in the Business Office. You will be asked to pay a $15.00 deposit which will be returned to you when you return the key. If you do not return your key by the last class day of the semester your grades may be held by the Registrar's Office.


Supplies required for Photo I