B.A. in Mathematics and Political Science (1975),
San Diego State University
M.A. (1978) in Political Theory and Ph.D. in American
Politics (1984), Rutgers, The
State University of New Jersey
Data Coordinator, CBS
News Elections and Survey Unit, 1978
Assistant Professor of Political
Science, Saint Mary's College (1981-1988)
Associate Professor of Political
Science, Saint Mary's College (1988-2001)
Full Professor of Political
Science, Saint Mary's College (2001-present)
Chair of Political Science, Saint Mary's College (2009-present)
Director, Saint Mary's College Strategic Plan (2003-present)
Interim Associate Dean of Faculty, Director of the Center for Academic
- (with Don Miller) Gambling Politics: State Government and the Business of Betting (Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2004)
- "Education Policy in America," in Gerald M.
Pomper, Wilson Carey McWilliams, and Ross Baker, American
Government (NY: Macmillan, 1983), pp. 98-103.
- "Gender Role and Political Culture: The Electoral
Connection," Women and Politics. Vol. 9 (March 1989): 21-46.
- "Political Sophistication and the Use of Candidate
Traits in Candidate Evaluation," Political Psychology.
Vol. 14 (March 1993): 21-36.
- "Bernard Berelson" and "Robert Dahl"
in Glenn Utter and Charles Lockhart, eds., American Political
Scientists: A Dictionary (Greenwood: Westport, CT, 1993),
pp. 24-25; 167-169.
- (with Donald E. Miller) "Lotteries
for Education: Windfall or Hoax?" State and Local Government
Review, 29 (1997): 34-42. Click to see copy of paper.
- (with Donald E. Miller) "Variations in the Diffusion
of State Lottery Adoptions: How Revenue Dedication Changes Morality
Politics," Policy Studies Journal. Vol. 27 (1999):
- (with Donald E. Miller) "Variations in the Diffusion of
State Lottery Adoptions: How Revenue Dedication Changes Morality
Politics," in Christopher Z. Mooney, ed., The Public Clash of Private
Values: The Politics of Morality Policy. (Chatham, NJ: Chatham House
- (with Don Miller) “Gambling Politics and the Diffusion of Morality Policy Innovations,” in Garry Smith, et al., eds., Research and Measurement Issues in Gambling Studies (San Diego: Elsevier, 2007).
- (with Richard A. Brisbin “Casting the Dice: The Development of Legalized Gambling in West Virginia,” West Virginia Public Affairs Reporter. Vol. 25, no. 1 (2008): 2-19.
- (with Richard A. Brisbin) "Counting the Chips: The Policy Consequences of Legalized Gambling in West Virginia. The West Virginia Public Affairs Reporter. Vol. 25, no. 3 (2008): 2-15.
- Polling and campaign consultant for Congressional campaigns
of Richard Bodine, Michael Barnes, Tom Ward, and Tim Roemer,
and County Commissioner campaign of David Niezgodski; Mayoral
campaigns of Roger Parent and Joseph Kernan; Campaign manager for
County Commissioner campaign of James Caldwell
- Member of the South Bend Human Rights Commission (1986-1990);
Chair of Housing Committee (1987-1990); Vice President (1988).
- Member of Corpus Christi Parish School Board (1994-1997);
President of Board (1995-1997)
To read a brief course description, select the appropriate
course number. Syllabi for courses being taught in the current
semester may be found by selecting "Current syllabus".
||Mass Media & Pub Opin
||Parties & Int. Gps
||Podcasts - through iTunesU
||Gender and Politics
On Sabbatical leave Academic year 2014-15
and Fun Links